The City of Key West, Florida

The Southernmost City in the Continental United States


Licensing Division

A City of Key West Business Tax Receipt is required for anyone holding themselves out to be engaged in business in the City of Key West. Business Tax Receipts, also known as BTR's or occupational licenses, as well as other types of regulatory licenses and permits, are issued by the Licensing Division of the City of Key West Code Compliance Department.

Business Tax Receipts are required for all types of businesses - food service (restaurants), retail establishments, property rentals, charter boats, and professionals, to name a few. Building contractors may or may not require a City of Key West BTR depending on their base location and type of state license. More information regarding contractor licensing can be found in the "Licensing Forms" section of this website.

Regulatory licenses and permits may relate to a primary BTR (e.g. transient rental medallion permits, establishment entertainment permits, conditional use permits, etc.), or may be issued in lieu of a standard BTR (taxi/pedicab driver permits, street artist/performer permits, and off-premises canvassing permits). Regulatory licenses and permits are issued based upon the guidelines set forth in the City of Key West Municipal Code of Ordinances. All city ordinances can be accessed on this website by selecting "Municipal Code" from the website homepage.

All BTR's, and most regulatory licenses/permits, are renewable on an annual basis. Some regulatory licenses/permits are not renewable, and a new application is required upon expiration (peddlers, taxi/pedicab driver permits, street artist/performer permits, and off-premises canvassing permits).

The Licensing Division accepts applications and supporting documents via e-mail, U.S. Mail, or in person. Payment must be made at the time of application. We accept cash, checks, and credit cards; we do not have online payment capability at the current time.
The majority of the licensing applications and forms are located in "Licensing Forms,", and can be downloaded from this website. Due to the complex nature of some types of licensing, we respectfully request that all questions be sent to us at Our mission is to provide the community with accurate responses to all licensing-related inquiries in a timely manner.

Contact Us

Amanda Brady,
Chief Licensing Official/Administrative Manager
1300 White St
Key West, FL 33040
Get Directions
  • Phone: (305) 809-3955
  • Staff Directory
  • 8:00AM-5:00PM (Mon-Fri)

In this Department

More Information