The City of Key West, Florida

The Southernmost City in the Continental United States


Residential Parking Permit FAQ

Q. Who is eligible for the new residential parking permit

A. Anyone who is in the following eligible categories:

  • Residents who reside within the Key West city limits,
  • Key West real estate owners,
  • Active military personnel stationed in the Key West area,
  • Seasonal Residents who reside in the City of Key West 4 months or longer,
  • Vehicles registered to businesses who hold a Key West Business Tax Receipt.


Q. Where can I park with the Residential Permit?

A. Any of the specially marked “Residential” parking spaces in the Historic District.


Q. My street has some spaces marked “Residential” and some that are not marked. Can I park in the unmarked spaces with the Residential decal too?

A. Yes, the unmarked spaces are available to everyone.


Q. I have a license tag that says “Monroe.” Will I need a decal?

A. Yes, the Monroe license plate is being phased out in the future and every eligible vehicle must have an annual decal beginning October 2014.


Q. When does this new residential parking program start?

A. October 1st 2014. You will have the month of October to purchase the new annual residential parking decal.


Q. Where can I apply for the new residential parking decal?

A. Monroe County Tax Collector’s Office at 1200 Truman Ave. Key West FL.


Q. What are their hours?

A. Monday, Wednesday, Friday – 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.; Tuesday, Thursday – 8 a.m. to 5:45 p.m.


Q. Where can I get an application?

A. Online at and also at the Monroe County Tax Collector’s Office at 1200 Truman Ave.


Q. What proof of eligibility do I need to bring to apply for the permit?

A. Valid driver’s license, vehicle registration, and proof of residency. For proof of residency, we accept lease, warranty deed, utility bill in your name and address, real estate tax bill, etc.


Q. How much does the permit decal cost?

A. $10 per year. We accept all methods of payments. No discounts apply.


Q. I will not be in town for the month of October, can I purchase my residential parking decal early?

A. No. New annual decals go on sale in October of every year. They will be sold all year long until the next October. You will have the month of October to renew every year. If you arrive after October, apply soon after you arrive.


Q. Can I apply online or by mail?

A. No. Eligibility must be verified in person.


Q. My car is registered in someone else’s name (for example: my parent’s or my wife’s or business) can I register it for the residential parking program?

A. Yes, but you must be listed as an insured driver on the vehicle’s insurance and meet eligibility requirements.


Q. My car is not registered in Florida, (or my driver’s license is from another state) can I still apply for the permit?

A. Yes, as long as the documents are valid and you meet the eligibility requirements.


Q. I lease my vehicle, can I get a residential decal?

A. Yes. Bring your lease contract with you to verify you are the lessee and you must meet eligibility requirements.


Q. My address is a P.O. Box, can I apply for the residential parking permit?

A. Yes, if you have proof of residency within the City Limits and meet eligibility requirements.


Q. My mailing address says Key West but I live up the Keys, can I get a Residential Permit?

A. No. to qualify under the residency category you must live within the City Limits.


Q. I don’t qualify for the Residential Parking Permit, where can I park?

A. This program is only for the approx. 1000 parking spaces marked “Residential.” There are many other opportunities to park in the Historic District:

  • Every block with spaces marked for “Residential” also has unmarked spaces that are available to you.
  • The City has a low cost employee parking program at the Park N Ride for $25 per month.
  • Many private parking lots offer monthly or long term parking contracts.
  • The City has a parking permit to park on-street in pay-to-park (metered) areas for $400 for 4 months.
  • Many government office parking lots offer free parking after hours and on weekends. Please verify before parking.


Q. I bought a permit decal but am now moving out of town, can I get a refund?

A. No, the $10 fee is designed to cover the cost of issuing the decal. It cannot be prorated, refunded, or transferred.


Q. I sold my car with its decal, can I get another one at no charge?

A. No, if you need a new decal the fee is $10 and a new application must be completed. As a courtesy, if you have the old decal you may contact the Parking Division at (305) 809-3852 and they may issue you a replacement. A new application must be completed as decals are not transferable.


Q. I have a handicap placard or plate, do I need a residential decal?

A. Yes, a handicap placard allows vehicles transporting a disabled person to park in a handicap space and also park at municipal metered areas for 4 hours without paying. All other parking regulations need to be observed including “residential” permits.


Q. If I have a Residential Parking Decal do I have to move my vehicle every 3 days?

A. Yes. No vehicle may be parked on the street for more than 72 hours without moving, per City Ordinance. For longer term storage, check out the Park N Ride in the 300 block of Grinnell or other private parking lots that offer long term storage.


Q. Can I purchase a Residential Parking Permit for my boat?

A. No. Boat and boat trailers, RV’s and over sized vehicles – vehicles over 20 feet in length - cannot park on City streets.


Q. Can I put a dumpster in a marked residential space?

A. Maybe. Right-of-way permits may be issued for specific time and date for a specific use. (i.e. moving van, truck delivery, dumpster, etc.) Each right of way permit is evaluated by the City’s Code Compliance Department to minimize impact to the use of the City’s rights-of-way.


Q. How can I add my block to the Residential Parking Program?

A. Contact the Parking Division. If a majority of real estate owners on your block request to be included, the Parking Division will evaluate and may recommend an ordinance change to include your block to the program. The program is active only in the Historic District.


Q. How can I request additional parking spaces on my block to be marked residential?

A. Contact the City’s Parking Division and it will be considered for approval by City staff. Please note: it is important to maintain a mix of “residential” marked and unmarked spaces on blocks that participate. In no case will a block be marked entirely “residential.”


Q. I have more than one vehicle, can I register them all?

A. Yes, if you are eligible under one of the listed categories you may list all vehicles registered to you.


Q. I have a moped/scooter/motorcycle, do I need a decal?

A. No, moped/scooter/motorcycles are exempt and can park in “residential” spaces at this time. Please note: No rental moped/scooter/motorcycle is eligible to park in “residential” spaces.


Q. The “residential” markings on my block are faded, how can I request they be repainted?

A. Contact City of Key West Public Works at (305) 809-3759 for evaluation and scheduling.


Q. I qualify for the Residential Parking Program but rented a car, can I park in residential?

A. Yes, with a temporary permit hang-tag issued from the City of Key West Parking Division. You will need to bring a copy of the rental contract in your name, driver’s license, and proof of residency. Call the Parking Division at (305) 809-3852 for details.


Q. My friend or family member is coming to visit, can I get a decal for their vehicle to park in a residential space during their visit?

A. No, as a visitor they do not meet the residential requirements, however they may park in an unmarked space. We recommend they park at the Park N Ride while they visit if they will not be using their vehicle often, to free up spaces for others to use.

In this Department

More Information