The City of Key West, Florida

The Southernmost City in the Continental United States


Common Code Violations

Common Code Violations

Debris on the city right of way
You can put out as many of your clearly labeled containers as you need full of separate, clean yard waste, (no trash or food waste,) on your recycling trash and yard waste collection day. Yard waste will not be accepted in bags. Containers may be put out after 4:00 pm the day prior to pick up and must be removed from the right of way by 8:00 pm the day of pick up.

Work being done without a permit

Before any work begins, permits are required for any structural repairs, most plumbing and electrical work, and even removal of certain trees. If you are not sure if a permit is required, call 305-809-3956.

Unlicensed businesses

A business tax receipt is required for amusement/entertainment businesses, coin-operated machines, financial institutions, food service activities, insurance companies, manufacturing businesses, newspaper or magazine publishers, rental businesses, retail establishments; general service providers, transportation, communications, etc. Please contact the Licensing Department at 305-809-3956.

High grass, debris around a structure or lot

Junk and rubbish cannot be left in the yard and must be properly disposed of. This includes appliances, furniture, building materials, trash, etc.; and debris such as tree trimmings, fallen limbs and palm fronds.  High grass needs to be mowed.

In this Department