The City of Key West, Florida

The Southernmost City in the Continental United States


Special Magistrate Frequently Asked Questions

Where are the Code Compliance Hearings Held?

The City Hall located at 1300 White Street, middle building, at 1:30 pm.

How do I get a copy of the case file?

Call or email the code office and request it. There is a charge of $0.15 for a single page and $0.20 for a double sided page.

How do I get an audio copy of the hearing?

You can watch the hearings online at our city of Key West website. Click on agendas, find the meeting date that correlates with your letter.

I can't attend on the date I was scheduled for. How do I request a continuance?

Requests for continuances must be in writing and submitted to this office five (5) working days prior to the hearing. The request is granted or denied by the Special Magistrate. If your request is granted, your case will be reset for another day. If your request is denied, your case will be heard as scheduled.

I have been calling the inspector and I have not gotten a return call. What do I do?

Call the Department at 305-809-3740 and ask to speak with the manager.

I believe that I have complied with the violations. Why did I get a Notice to Appear?

Call the Department at 305-809-3740 and ask to speak with the Inspector. Advise him/ her that you are calling to advise that you are in compliance, and that you need to request a re-inspection to verify compliance.

You must also understand that the Department can request that the Special Magistrate hear the case, even if you are already in compliance, for the purpose of obtaining an adjudication of guilt. This means that you complied with the violation, but if you repeat the same violation within a five (5) year period or the violation is irreparable/irreversible; the Department can request a hearing before the Special Magistrate so that fines can be imposed.

A title search was done on my property and there is a code lien. What do I do now?

Call the code office.  You must provide the case number or the property address to receive the information requested. Anyone in the code office can advise you accordingly.

I am paying my administrative fees by check. Who do I make the check payable to and where do I sent it?           

Make the check payable to:

City of Key West

Code Compliance Division

PO Box 1409

Key West, FL 33041


I have paid the fine on my case. How fast can I get a Release of Lien?

Liens can be released within a few days if payment is made by cash, cashier's check or money order. We are required to wait three (3) weeks after we deposit a check to ensure the funds clear before we can issue a release if the fine was paid by check.

In this Department