When is a Certificate of Appropriateness required?

Section 102-152 of the Land Development Regulations states A certificate of appropriateness is required for the erection of any new structure, building, fence, deck or sign or the painting, repainting, repair, alteration, remodeling, landscaping or demolition of the exterior of any existing building, structure, fence, deck, sign, landscape, or lot. HARC Guidelines state that, All exterior work must have HARC approval whether a building permit is required or not. If a building permit is required, the applicant shall obtain HARC approval prior to the issuance of the permit.

The Guidelines also state that HARC approval must be secured on:

  • Additions to existing buildings
  • Alterations to streets, sidewalks, or street furnishings
  • Any painting and associated removal of existing paint
  • Construction of swimming pools and/or decks
  • Exposed utilities
  • Fences, either new or replaced
  • Historic interior public spaces
  • Improvements of a right-of-way, public and private
  • Installation of signs, awnings, benches or lighting
  • Interiors or all property individually listed on the National Register
  • Miscellaneous structures (i.e. towers, etc.)
  • New construction
  • Placement of temporary facilities such as vendor stands
  • Repairs to buildings
  • Restoration or rehabilitation of buildings

Show All Answers

1. What projects need HARC Commission review?
2. What is a Certificate of Appropriateness (COA)?
3. When is a Certificate of Appropriateness required?
4. What's the difference between Contributing and Noncontributing?
5. What does “Historic” mean?
6. I want to install something on my property that is not publicly visible. Do I need HARC?
7. Can I replace my windows?
8. Can I replace my metal shingles with v-crimp?
9. Can you elevate structures in the Historic District?
10. Can I build an addition onto my house?
11. Can I install solar panels?
12. Does HARC have jurisdiction of interiors?
13. Is Key West a Certified Local Government? What is a Certified Local Government?
14. I need to repoint my historic masonry or brick building. What is required?
15. Where do I get a plaque or star or marker?