- Your Government
- Office of the City Clerk
- Domestic Partnership Registration
Domestic Partnership Registration
Domestic Partners are two adults who have chosen to declare themselves to be part of and share in a committed, loving and supportive relationship with each other. You will receive a Certificate of Domestic Partnership that some entities may accept as proof of a domestic partnership for such things as health insurance, banking needs and medical situations.
Applying for a Domestic Partnership
To apply, both applicants must appear together at the City Clerk’s office and declare, under penalty of perjury, that you fulfill all the following requirements:
- Applicants are at least 18 years old and competent to contract
- Applicants are not married to or a member of another registered domestic partnership or civil union with anyone other than the co-applicant
- Applicants agree to share the common necessities of life and to be responsible for each other’s welfare.
- Applicants share the primary residence with each other
- Applicants are considered to be members of each other’s immediate family
- Applicants agree to notify the City Clerk’s Office, in writing, of any change in the status of the Registered Domestic Partnership
- Applicants agree to mutually support the other by contributing in some fashion, not necessarily equally, to maintain and support the Registered Domestic Partnership
To establish a Domestic Partnership, two people shall sign a Declaration of Domestic Partnership in the presence of the City Clerk.
Proof of Domestic Partnership
Additionally, applicants must submit at least one form each as proof that they are in a domestic partnership. Any of the following forms of proof are acceptable:
- Common Household Expenses: Utility bills with both names
- Drivers Licenses: Listing the same address
- Joint Bank: Account Checking or Savings Account
- Joint Credit Card: Statement with both names
- Joint Ownership of Residence: Deed, Lease or Mortgage
- Joint Vehicle Ownership: Title with both names
- Joint Wills: Copy of will(s) showing the other as beneficiary and/or executor
A Domestic Partnership is terminated when:
- One of the partners has passed away.
- A Domestic Partner files for a termination of the domestic partnership with the City Clerk, by hand or certified mail or registered mail.
|Filing a Declaration of Domestic Partnership||$50|
|Filing a Termination of Domestic Partnership||$25|
|Filing an Amendment to the Declaration of Domestic Partnership||$25|
Please call the City Clerk’s Office for information or to schedule an appointment, call 305-809-3831.