The City of Key West owns and operates the Cemetery.
Show All Answers
In 1847 after the disastrous hurricane of October 11, 1846. The hurricane destroyed several burial grounds, prompting the City to purchase a 100-lot tract in the center of town. Several years later, the City added 233 lots, and in 1868, a separate Catholic Cemetery was created along Francis Street. The Jewish Cemetery was added in the southeast portion of the property.
Yes. We have an estimate of 100 interments every year.
It is estimated 70,000 people are buried here.
The graves are private property owned by families. The family is responsible for maintaining the graves. Many families take great pride in maintaining their plots. Other families have left town or sadly died out. Sometimes historically, significant gravesites are renovated when grants become available.
Because of limited space, we can have two vaults underground and three above ground in any 4" x 8" space.
Yes. There are above-ground vaults and cremation niches available. Occasionally, a family will decide to sell a part of their lot. This transaction takes place privately without the participation of the City.