- City Departments
- Utilities Department
The General Services (Utilities) Department includes the following Divisions: Waste Water, Storm Water and Solid Waste, including the management of the City’s Solid Waste and Hauling Contracts with Waste Management, Inc. The Department also includes the Richard A. Heyman Environmental Pollution Control Facility (Waste Water Treatment Plant) which is operated by OMI, the City of Key West Solid Waste Transfer Station on Rockland Key which is operated by Waste Management, Inc, and the Stock Island Landfill which has been closed since 1992.
The Utilities Manager is responsible for annual rate studies for sewer, storm water, and solid waste. The rate studies and budgets are traditionally presented to the City Commission in July. The Utilities Department is located at 1300 White Street, Key West, FL 33040. The Solid Waste Transfer Station is located at MM 9 on Rockland Key and can be found at 161 Toppino Industrial Drive, Highway (US-1) Rockland Key.
Key West’s waste water and storm water system has garnered numerous top awards from the Florida Water Environment Association including First Place in the Advanced Secondary Treatment category and the 2012 Operational Performance Excellence Award.
The City of Key West has a Solid Waste Master Plan for the City. The goal with this plan is to create a map to guide the City towards increasing our recycling rate, maximizing our waste diversion, and creating a pathway towards a zero-waste community.
- 2016 Certification of Completion Long Term Care Report (PDF)
- Construction Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan Template (PDF)
- Disability Discount Application (PDF)
- Final Public Notice Wastewater Treatment Plants (PDF)
- Florida Department of Environmental Protection Construction Activity (PDF)
- Florida Department of Environmental Protection Documents for Gerald Adams Environmental Testing (PDF)
- Florida Department of Environmental Protection HPDES Generic Permit (PDF)
- IFAS Extension Best Management Practices for Lawn (PDF)
- IFAS Extensions Landscaping (PDF)
- Section 10-8 Key West, FL Code of Ordinances (PDF)