Flood Hazard Area

At the City Hall's Building Department, located at 1300 White Street, you can access Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) flood maps to determine if your residence falls within a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA).  Additionally, you can find details about flooding issues in specific, nearby regions.  If you are contemplating the purchase or rental of a property and are uncertain about its flood risk, historical flood data is also accessible.

Flood Maps

Both the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and Monroe County Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Services have created interactive mapping services to locate specific properties in relation to the high-risk flood hazard areas (also called Special Flood Hazard Areas). FEMA has a consumer-friendly site specifically for locating flood risks and insurance information.  If you're not in the habit of researching flood maps, check out our page on How to Read Flood Maps.  For a crash course on flood insurance/regulation terminology, watch a four-minute video that'll bring you up to speed.

Flooding Emergency / Drainage Problem

If you have a flooding emergency or drainage problem, call the City's Utilities office at 305-809-3906 (after business hours at 305-809-1111) for help.  If maintenance of the City's system is required, they can handle it, or if there is no system at that specific location, they can refer it for further investigation. They can also explain ways to stop flooding and prevent damage to your property.

Flood Prevention

The City's efforts to be successful in flood control depend on your cooperation in the following ways:

  • Do not place any debris - lawn, trash, or otherwise - in stormwater inlets, ditches, or other waterways.  Dumping into the drainage system can easily create blockages, and when it rains, the water has nowhere to go, resulting in flooding - the house you flood may be your own.  It is a violation to dump into any public drainage system.  If you witness a problem regarding dumping into the stormwater system, please get in touch with Code Enforcement at 305-809-3739.
  • Always check with the Building Department at 305-809-3956 before you make changes such as grading, filling, or construction on your property.  The planned changes may require permitting to ensure that your project does not cause problems for your neighbors.
  • If you see someone dumping anything into stormwater inlets, ditches, or other waterways, report it to Code Enforcement at 305-809-3739.
  • If you see an active construction site with no City permit posted, report it to the Building Department at 305-809-3956.